Bayonne New Jersey History
In 1838, Old Jersey City and Paul Hook and Hudson City were founded independently, while the new city of Bergen was re-chartered by the state. Bayonne has established itself over the years as the leading industrial city in New Jersey. Its relative isolation was reduced and it was connected to the region by the Hudson River and the ports of New York and New Haven. This led to efforts to transform the city into a major production and transport centre.
The Dutch colony New Amsterdam, later known in English as New York and New Jersey, founded and grew and prospered in the area that is now called Bayonne. Congregationalists who left the puritanically cramped Newark settlement founded in Newark. Persecuted and ambitious Quakers settled in West Jersey, and the local superintendent was Roswell Edward Smith. There was a great deal of political and religious activity in this area, as well as a great number of religious leaders, and there were many religious and political leaders of different faiths and backgrounds.
The depot was part of the Central Railroad of New Jersey, which was founded on February 22, 1849 and went via Elizabethport and Bayonne to the Jersey City terminal, where ferries to New York departed in 1864. Buy photo The first was built in the early 20th century on the site of a former railway depot at the corner of East Broad Street and East Main Street.
The departure point is at the Bayonne - Jersey City ferry terminal on the corner of East Broad Street and East Main Street, the location of the depot.
The Kill Van Kull is the strait that separates the northern shore of Staten Island from Bayonne, located at Bergens Point in New Jersey. The western end faces Newark Bay, and the western side of the bay borders the land border with Jersey City and Newark to the south, the city of New York to the east, and Staten Island is connected to it by the Bayonyon Bridge. Bayonne is a city in the eastern part of the counties of Union and Middlesex, which are separated by a strait from the west coast of Manhattan and from New Brunswick, New Hampshire. It is also the name for the road of Bancroft, a road of Grafton and a road of Horseshoe Bay in Essex County, New Jersey.
The city of 63,000 is believed to have been named after the Huguenots (French Protestants) who sought refuge in New Jersey during the French Revolutionary War in the late 17th and early 18th centuries and migrated from New York City to the Bayonne area. The area still has some of its etymological ancestors, such as Bancroft, Grafton, Horseshoe Bay and the name of the bay itself.
In 1912, it was President William Howard Taft who sought re-election in New Jersey and coined the city's motto. The independent community of Greenville was founded in 1884 as a result of the merger of two communities in the Bayonne area with a population of 1,000.
In 1825, the New Jersey Legislature, which focused on the division of territory between municipalities and counties, changed the name of New Barbados Neck from Lodi in Bergen County to Bergen County. In 1826, the inhabitants of the commune of Lodos applied for the establishment of a new county and travelled long distances to reach the seat of the count in Hackensack, and in 1840, the inhabitants of Bayonne and the neighbouring towns of Jersey City and Jersey Beach joined them. In 1873, a referendum was held on the merger with Jersey City, and residents voted 261-45 to join the newly consolidated Jersey City, which included the city in the 1870s, Berkeley and the Hudson.
A New Jersey Legislature law of October 1, 1884, reintegrating Bayonne as a city, replaced Bayonyon Township, and a referendum was held nine days later.
The city of Bayonne, founded in 1861, was originally called Bergen Neck and was located on the eastern bank of the Hudson River near the Dutch settlement of BerGen, now called Jersey City. By the completion of the Morris Canal in 1836, it was connected to the rest of northern New Jersey. For those who retain the place names they were originally assigned, the only name left is Pamrapo Avenue, a legacy of the Lenape tradition from Greenville. The writings of William Royden, John F. O'Neill and William H. Riddell speculate that the name Bayonyon derives from the Huguenots who settled in Bayonne, France, years after the founding of the new Amsterdam.
The first ferry to connect Bayonne to New York City and the rest of New Jersey was the Communipaw Ferry, which was built in 1836 on the banks of the Hudson River near the intersection of Bergen and Jansen Avenues. The Standard Oil Company, which built the first oil refinery in the United States at the site, ran from Olean, New York, to Bayonne and crossed the river on its way to Newark and on to Manhattan.